Sunday, April 3, 2011

Region Champs!

So, I know that I have been really bad a blogging lately, but this month has been crazy teaching in the elementary school, but there have been some fun things that I wanted to share. One of those is Young Women's basketball. People who do not live in Utah cannot fully understand how much is put into and what a big deal church sports are here, especially in the Tooele Valley. Anyways I volunteered to coach our ward team. I was excited because I love our girls and thought it would be another fun thing to do and that way I would have an excuse to play basketball more. After a few practices and a few of our stake games I was pleasantly suprised that we had an awesome team. Thats when I started to get reallly excited, my excitment was mirrored by my girls which made it even better. Anyways, we were the first seed from our stake as we went to the region tournament. A few people underestimated us as they looked at me and thought this 5'1, 20 year old doesnt know what she's doing. Or, they only have 6 girls they won't last. They thought wrong. After an intense weekend of 7 games, a few heated conversations where I stood my ground (kind of suprises me when I have to pull the "lets act like adults right now" card) we dominated every team. After just a few practices, lots of laughs, and a fun sleepover me girls ran a succesful full court press, multiple plays, and just all out tough play WE WON IT ALL! Woo Hoo!!! =] My girls are so fun they made team shirts/socks/hair-do's haha and all went out to eat after our victory! Not only were my girls dedicated playing through a concussion, low blood sugar, low potassium, hurt knee, and little sleep etc. but their parents were also a great support. It was so fun having a crowd of all the girls families and friends watching our games and cheering their girls on. I am so grateful to feel the support from our ward and I know the girls love you all. I was proud to coach such great girls who showed such good sportsmanship and worked together as a team. They are such good examples to me and I am so grateful I got to spend so much time with them. Here are a few pictures from our tournament.

Getting our game plan set

My girl Carli boxing out =]

One of Erika's many free throws

One of the many tough screens Erika set

Carli shooting her free throws

Emily and her many free throws

Sadie's AWESOME hair and beautiful jumpshot

Cate setting the screen, way to go!

Sadie sinking one again, Emily boxing out.

Erika screening again, she was relentless, Chels running our offense perfectly.

lining up for the inbounds

Chelsea always being so nice to the other team.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Em!! Way to put those people in their place!! I'm sure you were an inspiration to those precious girls. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, I love you Em!! Way to be wonderful wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete